Monday, September 24, 2012

I made it!

Well, I'm in Nagoya! And I have some sort of internet! I get wireless in the lobby of my building right now, and I get internet in my room in a week or so. It's really great so far, and it's been an exciting adventure these past few days, and there's still more adventures to come. Whee!

So the trip was long, and mostly uneventful. I spent a little while with Alvin at O'hare Airport before saying goodbye and crying a bunch. Now that I think of it, we must have looked really silly trying to have a normal conversation with tears streaming down our faces. After I went through security, I sat and read some sweet letters from Alvin and from my mom, and cried some more. When I made it to Honolulu, it was the middle of the night, so I napped on an airport bench. Once the sun came out, I went to the beach!

The water was so blue! It was beautiful; I hope I can go back someday for more than just a few hours.

After getting some sun, it was time to catch my flight for Japan. As I got to the boarding area that I noticed I was the only white girl on the flight. I figured I may as well get used to being a weird foreigner now. When we flew away from Hawaii and the U.S., I nearly cried again. On the plus side: there weren't many passengers, so I got a whole row to myself. Plus, there were 2 meals and 2 movies- All with a coach ticket!

After landing, I got my luggage, was issued an ID card, and went through customs. I even got to use some Japanese to ask directions to my hotel and again to check in. I was pretty pleased with myself. I had enough time to take a much needed shower before heading off to meet some other exchange students for dinner. The restaurant was very nice, and the food was delicious. We had salad, pork, fried chicken, noodles and lots of beer. It was a relief to finally get to know some people in Japan. The next day, I had a nice cup of tea in my hotel room before checking out and moving in to my dorm room.



My room is tiny, and the building is old, but overall it is a nice place to live. It's close to campus and the subway, and I have my own stove and fridge. I'm still settling in, so I'll post pictures when it looks a little more presentable. I can't believe I'm living in Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment