Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Personal Profile

These first few entries will be assignments that I need to enter on my "info log". Some are more interesting than others...

Profile Information
Fill out as much as you'd like - at least a sentence for each item, or answer none or not applicable to the ones for which you don't have an answer. 
  • Previous study or living abroad/travel experiences I have had 
 None. I grew up in the U.S. and I have vacationed once in Canada and once in Mexico. I've never been overseas. It's strange to think that soon I will be on the other side of the world for a year.
  • My major(s)/minor(s) 
I am studying Foreign Language and International Trade at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale.
  • My school and/or study abroad program(s) 
SIUC has an exchange agreement with Nagoya University. The program I am attending is the Nagoya University Program for Academic Exchange or NUPACE
  • My host country
Japan
  • Languages I speak (other than English, if any) 
I focus on Japanese in my program. I have been studying Japanese off and on for years, but I've had a hard time becoming fluent. I consider myself upper beginner or lower intermediate.
  • My fears or concerns about being abroad 
I have wanted to go to Japan since I was young, so I am a little worried that I am too excited and my expectations are too high. I keep reminding myself to be flexible and open-minded so I won't be disappointed.
  • Characteristics that might affect my experience abroad, and that other students might find useful for discussion (ethnicity, religion, dietary restrictions, sexual preference, etc.) 
None in particular. I feel like I'm a pretty average American girl. I think that is enough, though, as there aren't many Americans in Nagoya, even in NUPACE.
  • What I hope to gain from this course
My primary goal is to improve my Japanese speaking, listening, reading, and writing abilities. I also hope to gain some cultural insight and do a lot of traveling and experiencing traditional Japanese activities.


Top Ten Reasons to Study Abroad
Start by reading the top ten, and delete one reason that has the least relevance to you. Write a sentence for each reason that describes how you feel about it, or how study abroad might affect you in this way. Prioritize them in order of importance to you.

1. See the world (or at least a part of it).
I have always been interested in traveling and seeing the world, but it can be difficult to find the time and the means. Studying abroad is a great reason to save up and make it work. Plus, studying there for one year allows me to get to know Japan better than an average tourist.

2. Learn a language in the country where it is spoken.
Japanese is not widely spoken in many places outside of Japan. I am thankful for my Japanese friends in the U.S., but living there is the best way to improve my abilities.

3. Resume builder.
Having experience in a different culture and having strong Japanese language skills should help make me more marketable in international business.

4. Make connections that can last a lifetime.
It gives me a chance to network with other students, teachers, and professionals.

5.  International travel and study are fun and exciting.
This one is pretty self-explanatory, I think.

6. Learn about yourself and gain independence.
I like to think I'm pretty independent and know myself pretty well already, but I've never lived and studied overseas by myself before, so maybe I'll learn something new.

7. Gain perspective on your own country and culture.
I'm interested to see what people from outside of the U.S. view our country.

8. Programs work with any academic program.
I will definitely get credit at SIUC for studying abroad, and my academic advisor tells me some of that credit should count toward my major, so that's a plus. This less important to me, though, so it's at the bottom of the list.

9. Studying abroad is a life-altering experience.
All of the points above are reasons why.



Anticipation and Expectation Exercise
A. What are the five things that you are most looking forward to about studying abroad?
  1. the food!
  2. finally seeing in person all of the Japanese cultural events I've read about
  3. discovering new aspects of Japan I never knew about or expected
  4. traveling and seeing famous Japanese sights
  5. making new friends
B. What are the five things that currently worry you most about going overseas
  1. finances
  2. I don't know anyone
  3. what if it's not how I think it will be?
  4. homesickness
  5. am I prepared for the coursework?
C. What are the five things (people, places, activities, etc.) you believe you will miss most from home when abroad?
  1. My family
  2. My boyfriend and friends
  3. Being able to go home whenever I want
  4. wide-open spaces
  5. uniquely American foods (root beer, peanut butter, etc)
D. What are the five things (people, places, activities, etc.) you believe you will miss least  from home when abroad?





E. My greatest single challenge overseas will be:
Overcoming shyness so that I can interact and make the most of my time in Japan.

Goal Statement
Write your Goal Statement. Think about your own ethnicity and heritage and what special reasons you may have to study abroad. Write at least two paragraphs outlining how you want your study abroad experience to personally affect you in terms of personal growth, global awareness, and diversity.

I do not typically consider myself to have much in the way of ethnicity and heritage. For a U.S. American, I am a pretty average white, middle-class citizen. It is for this reason that I think studying in Japan will be a great opportunity for personal growth and awareness. There are very few Caucasian people in Japan, so I will quickly have to adjust to being a minority.

In terms of global awareness, I have never spent much time outside of the U.S., but I try to keep an open mind and be aware of global issues. I look forward to spending time abroad and learning first-hand about attitudes towards my country and it's people.

Discussion Topic
I would like to discuss the question from above "What are the five things you believe you will miss least  from home when abroad?"
I could not think of a single answer. I have never thought to myself "I can't wait to get away from that." Also, from my understanding, Japan is similar to the U.S. in many ways, so most of the inconveniences I find at home will likely still be an issue there. I believe I will not know what I miss the least until I go to Japan, return home, and then realize "I did not miss this/that/so-and-so at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment